Travel procedures for pets through the passenger terminal at Muscat International Airport
Security & Facilitation Department
Transportation of pets requires special attention in accordance with standard operating procedures as per the laws and regulations of each airport operator.
Conditions for pets traveling through the Passenger Terminal at Oman Airports:
Obtaining prior permission:
- Anyone traveling with pets shall obtain prior permission from the country of destination after confirming with the airline that pets are allowed on board. The conditions and laws of the country of destination shall be observed. Travelers are required to contact their airline to enquire about the applicable conditions for pet travel.
- Regarding the transportation of larger size animals, these shall be transported via air freight. This will occur after the air freight conditions and regulations for their transportation have been fulfilled.
- Pets are allowed to travel on board passenger flights through Muscat International Airport, provided that the pet is small, and does not exceed 8 kilograms. The pet shall be placed in a small cage or in a special pet bag (according to the rules of the airline).
- Travelers with pets should kindly enquire about the applicable pet regulations existing in the countries of departure and arrival (vaccinations, quarantines, etc). The pet shall also be provided with a passport from a veterinarian, indicating the identification of the animal and certifying that it has been vaccinated correctly.
- Acceptance of the above-mentioned conditions also implies that the traveler assumes full responsibility for the pet.
- Muscat International Airport shall not be held liable for any injury, loss, delay, illness, or death of pets. They will also not be held liable in the case that the pet/s are refused entry into any country or territory, or while in transit to/from these countries.
- Pets remain subject to customs regulations in the country of transit and destination.
- The airline bears full responsibility in the event of non-compliance with the requirements for importing pets to the Sultanate of Oman, and the related consequences.
- For pets imported into the Sultanate of Oman through passenger terminals at Oman Airports, a prior veterinary import permit must be obtained via (www.customs.gov.om). Pets shall also be subject to the following requirements:
Conditions and procedures for importing dogs and cats:
- Dogs or cats under the age of 6 Months are not allowed for importation in to Sultanate of Oman.
- The pet shall be vaccinated against rabies at the age of not less than 3 months, in addition to other vaccinations. As for the first vaccination dose, it shall be given within a period of not less than 3 months and not more than a year from the date of shipment or travel. As for the booster dose, it must be not more than one year prior to the date of shipment or travel.
- Travelers with pets are kindly required to obtain the import permit from the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries Wealth and Water Resources (Veterinary Quarantine Department) in Sultanate of Oman. Through the customs declaration program Bayan, before starting the travel processing and shipping procedures (www.customs.gov.om).
- The pet shall undergo a titration test for neutral immune antibodies for the rabies disease, during a period of not less than 3 months and not more than a year from the date of shipment or travel.
- An original government veterinary health certificate shall be issued for the pet from the competent authority in the exporting country.
- Dogs residing in the Sultanate of Oman for a period of more than 6 months shall be registered at the Quarantine and Food Safety Department at Muscat International Airport.